Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rotorwrench

Kinzua Dam, PA

Took the boat out yesterday for the 1st time since the powerhead replacement last fall. We went to Kinzua Dam/Lake, just an hour drive from the house. Put 2hrs. on the motor, ran perfect and the kids enjoyed a swim on a hot/humid Memorial Day. Looks like we found our back up destination, when Lake Erie is too rough for fishing.

Copy of May 2012 005.jpg

Copy of May 2012 006.jpg

Copy of May 2012 007.jpg

Copy of May 2012 009.jpg

That is sure a beautiful backdrop and looks like a picture . I thought the Tennessee Valley areas were neat but that blows them out of the water (and no don't mention that to my wife she was born there) I am sure you had a lot of people doing double takes when they saw yours. Glad you shared the shots with us.captain.gif

I remember camping in the area out of Kane PA as a kid with my family and going to that dam site to see an very high railroad trestle before they built the dam. That was in the late 50's. I never made it to the lake when finished. I was in Pittsburgh this past weekend and saw temp readings of 92 and 93 so I am sure the water was refreshing.

Yes, temps were toasty in the low 90's and hazy/humid. While on the lake, we were checking out potential camping spots, as you can pitch a tent anywhere along the shore(Allegheny National Forest). There is a high bridge over the lake, route 59, to get to Wolf Run Marina.

Here's a shot of the dam I took the weekend before, to check out the ramp access(the pic doesn't do it justice as far as size).

kinzua.jpg

Looks like a great spot!! Must be great to have the boat back on the water!

I was there 2 years ago during the winter on a week-long snowmobile trip; a customer of mine has a cabin outside of Kane and invited me along...it was amazing! I don't remember everywhere we rode, but I put on about 350 miles in 4 days- there's awesome natural scenery in that area!!