Robalo Boating Forum

2440 listing to Port on Plane

plomb37492

Hello again! Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

I have done a bunch of research on why my 1999 robalo 2440 w/250 outboard list.

to the port once it gets up on a plane.

From my research, I have found that people attribute the list to empty freshwater tanks, prop torque or water in hull.

Can anyone give me more info on this? Is there someone at Robalo that might have some ideas to correct this?

Thank you in advance!

-Paul

Hello again! Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

I have done a bunch of research on why my 1999 robalo 2440 w/250 outboard list.

to the port once it gets up on a plane.

From my research, I have found that people attribute the list to empty freshwater tanks, prop torque or water in hull.

Can anyone give me more info on this? Is there someone at Robalo that might have some ideas to correct this?

Thank you in advance!

-Paul

This board is pretty quiet......no takers?

I think everybody is suffering from summer withdrawals, Paul!

When the boat is sitting at the dock, is it floating level then or does it have a slight list? If there is no list, then my guess is gonna be prop torque. Standard rotation propeller would tend to pull the port side down while running. Does the boat have trim tabs...if so, drop the port tab down a little more than the starboard one to pop that side up.

To be honest with you, I don't think that trim skeg does much good on boats with hydraulic steering. The only thing I ever used that for was to counter-act the load on the old Teleflex cable steering systems. On my current set-up, there is no skeg on the cavitation plate. It got broken off when I ran over a piece of wood, and when I did not feel any difference in boat performance, I never bothered replacing it.

My Honda Dealer friend, has told me the skeg isn't needed with hydraulic steering.

i have a 96 2140

i repowered from 250 2 stroke to 250 4 stroke

added 145 lbs on the stern and engine was riding low (cavitation plate was about 5" under water when at plane)

so i put on a hydraulic jack plate with 10" offset from transom.

ever since i did that i shoot out the hole, then i violently start to list heavily (i believe to port...its been a few months since i been out, haha)

anyways, i have to ride the trim tabs pretty hard to get her righted.

so i'm not sure if its b/c i threw center of gravity on boat off, or water flow is different now, etc...but mine does it too...

• 7 months later...

Do you have your engines all the way down when you come up on plane? If so do you then raise them a little to improve the performance once the boat is moving? My boat will list to one side or the other if I try to run hard with the engines all the way down. They have to be trimmed up some. About in the middle of the trim gage if you have one --- mine have quit working but you can hear the engines quit laboring when you get them right.

Once they are trimmed up some then I level if needed due to load or wind with the trim tabs. Other wise I keep the trim tabs fully retracted.

I have twins but my boat leaned port anyways even when it was floating at rest. Found that once I added fresh water and pumped the waste it got a little better, but still listed. Found that the bilge in rear on port side was full in the little compartment where my seacocks are, there was no way for it to get out to the main bilge, drilled a hole threw in a piece of resined pipe in the hole and it does not list so badly at rest.

• 1 month later...