Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
2120Tom

Puzzled by bilge water

Hi Guys,

I'm getting water in my 2120 bilge seemingly while under power. This has been happening the past several times I've been on the water.

Just spent 2 weeks at the lake and the boat sat for a lot of the time at the dock with no noticable increase of water in the bilge. But after running back to the ramp and when I put it onto the trailer and removed the plug I got "tea colored" water streaming out, maybe a gallon or so.

My washdown valve is open and the livewell valve is closed. With the inspection covers removed I can find no dripping around either valve while the boat is afloat. I even put on a swim mask and swam undrneath the hull looking for cracks or holes that may not be seen while on the bunked trailer .

The "staining" of the water is a concern, as is where it's coming in, it has no smell or evidence of fuel leakage.

Thanks for any suggestions .

It may be coming from the rub rail seal between the top of your boat and the hull..If you only seem to get water while under way, the spray from your hull may be making its way in between that area..I seem to recall some people having this problem before..

I'm sure Dan/Lee/MrR or any of the other seasoned owners will be able to help you out..

Good Luck

Tom .

Check under workarounds. What year ???

The newer Euro transoms have a problem where the deck and hull fit together in the stern. :o

As boats are running The water enters the small gap between them (as they are squatting as they take off or battle waves) . There are some posts on how to seal . You can use 5200 if you want but it is forever where as 4200 is a little more forgiving if the deck ever needs to be removed. Make sure you tape all the areas :angry: above and below the area to be caulked. Pick up some Acetone,Paper shop towels to pre-clean the areas along with a putty knife (Harbor Freight :thumbsup: has a multi pack for the price of 1 at Ace hardware). Apply Vaseline to the knife so the caulking will flow as you press it into the void. Once the caulking is applied (I run a bead on a piece of cardboard to test after I finished the boat) Watch for it to skin over and pull the tape off to leave the seal looking good and cleanup is a snap.

LET IT SIT FOR 48 HRS BEFORE USING TO ALLOW THE CAULK TO THROUGHLY CURE AND SEAL!

This should get you started and the other posts will get into more details . If you need anything else just tqake a walk back down the cyber docks. :angry:

Tom .

Check under workarounds. What year ???

The newer Euro transoms have a problem where the deck and hull fit together in the stern. :o

As boats are running The water enters the small gap between them (as they are squatting as they take off or battle waves) . There are some posts on how to seal . You can use 5200 if you want but it is forever where as 4200 is a little more forgiving if the deck ever needs to be removed. Make sure you tape all the areas :angry: above and below the area to be caulked. Pick up some Acetone,Paper shop towels to pre-clean the areas along with a putty knife (Harbor Freight :thumbsup: has a multi pack for the price of 1 at Ace hardware). Apply Vaseline to the knife so the caulking will flow as you press it into the void. Once the caulking is applied (I run a bead on a piece of cardboard to test after I finished the boat) Watch for it to skin over and pull the tape off to leave the seal looking good and cleanup is a snap.

LET IT SIT FOR 48 HRS BEFORE USING TO ALLOW THE CAULK TO THROUGHLY CURE AND SEAL!

This should get you started and the other posts will get into more details . If you need anything else just tqake a walk back down the cyber docks. :angry:

sorry forgot to mention year...1994

workarounds ???? not familiar with that term. do you mean the inspection cover plates for the bilge ? if they did leak some water, why would the water be turning tea colored so quickly ?

to Gary,,, if I were running in rough seas I would consider your thought, but that's not the case here. thanks for the possibility though.

and thanks to any and all other replies.

Sorry Walk Around sectio