Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KroBro

Repower question for 1994 - 2120 with 4-stroke

I have a 1994 - 2120 and need to repower this boat. Originally I think the boat came with a Merc 225 (weight app. 450 Lbs.) When I bought the boat it had an Evinrude 225 (weight app. 510 Lbs.) I moved the Dual Battery setup up under the center counsel to lighten the stern a bit thinking I would add a kicker. The stern did set a bit low but not below the water line, no real problems with back wash or overflow at the stern but not much room to spare either. This past weekend I locked up the Evinrude. This creates a whole new plan! I am looking into Suzuki 200 or 225 4-stroke. The 200HP weight is 580 Lbs and the 225HP is 591 Lbs. Just wondering if anyone has made a similar change or has any information to share on adding the extra weight and if this will have a negative effect or cause any danger. I have talked to Robalo/US Marine but they really did not have much to say, maybe the wrong person? Anyway any information, stories and/or opinions would be welcome and appreciated.

Food for thought, Evinrude E-tec 225=518lbs.(20"), 225HO=503lbs.(20") and 200=418lbs(20")

Comparisons:

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Engines/ETEC_V6/ETEC_225_V6

Power to weight ratio has a bearing when comparing to 4 strokes. It kind of defeats the purpose of moving weight forward, then add it back on the transom. Yours may not be as stern heavy as the older ones. Local dealer support is the key, regardless of what make you run.

I am very curious to hear what you find out. I have a 1993 2120 and I'm think the same questions about repowering. Please repost with any info. Good luck in your research. Make sure you messure the shaft not all manufacturers shaft messurments are exactly the same. This could lead to reduced fuel range due to drag if the boat doesn't get up on plane enough.

Edited by The Argument

I don't lurk here as I once used to,, so I'm just now reading this thread and hope I can shed some advice.

I repowered my '94 2120 in early '06 with a 250 E tec. Made the stern sit a bit lower than did the old Merc 200, but not that it's taking on water while trolling in normal seas.

Now,, if I drop off of plane real quick...oh yeah the water comes over the transom,,, but it probably would've done it with the Merc also, just never tried it with the Merc.

If you're reading this and haven't already bought a repower......most 4 strokes are gonna be 100lbs. plus heavier than the Etec.

I don't lurk here as I once used to,, so I'm just now reading this thread and hope I can shed some advice.

I repowered my '94 2120 in early '06 with a 250 E tec. Made the stern sit a bit lower than did the old Merc 200, but not that it's taking on water while trolling in normal seas.

Now,, if I drop off of plane real quick...oh yeah the water comes over the transom,,, but it probably would've done it with the Merc also, just never tried it with the Merc.

If you're reading this and haven't already bought a repower......most 4 strokes are gonna be 100lbs. plus heavier than the Etec.

Tom,

I'm curious about your performance #'s with the 250hp...any info would be greatly appreciated..? I have a '95 2120.

Tom,

I'm curious about your performance #'s with the 250hp...any info would be greatly appreciated..? I have a '95 2120.

Storm Chaser,, I'm turning the 14 1/2 by 19 Cyclone 4 blade which my dealer recommended and I've been quite happy with it. With a half load of fuel and one other person in the boat I have no problem hitting mid 50's mph on good water and the proper trim. Tach reads 5500/5600.

The mph speed was on the speedometer, which actually surprised me......I've never checked it on GPS. (may be dissappointed)

I do enjoy hot rodding, but, the vast majority of what my hourmeter shows is trolling time,, since I fish the great lakes and that's how we catch 'em.