Robalo Boating Forum
Aqualung

Nervous Newbie

I would like to introduce myself, my name is Bob and I have a question, I was hoping some of you experienced guys could answer or make suggestions.

Keep in mind I have been boating for many years but never anything larger than an 18' :o

So the bigger boat scene is all new to me.

I am in the process of looking for a boat, I came across a 1995 2660 with twin 225 Mercs I have been told 160 hours on boat and motors, on a 2003 triple axle trailer. This boat is pretty much stock from what I understand, have been told the engines run fine, and the boat is overall is in excellent condition. I am hoping to go see this boat tomorrow, and was wondering if this boat has any common type problem(s) with this model that I should specifically look for. Also what would be consider a fair price for this boat?

Thanks in advance, and if everything goes well I hope to be able to say I own a Robalo ;)

boat033.JPG

boat029.JPG

Edited by Aqualung

Welcome and thanks for taking a walk down our cyber dock>

The R2660 was in production from about 1983-1995. However between 1993-95 they were not totally foam filled like they once were. The hull is a solid V entry with a soft rocker bottom in the stern. The rocker bottom helps the boat while at drift slide over a wave where a true deep V you kind of fall off the wave. The boat will preform great with the twins on the back and is very stable running on plain. Like a true cabin she does tend to wonder while trolling but no more than a competitive boat.

I personal don't know how well they we actually built after they sold to U S Marine as I left in 1993.

Some of the others should chime in here and shed a little more light on the subject . Good luck in buying it but I would recommend getting it surveyed and I believe you should be able to hook the motors up to a laptop and see all the stats?????

I think those engines are older technology, fuel injected (not sure). No engine control module to plug into. They will be thirsty motors compared to the newer direct injected motors, but the flip side is that they are easily serviceable. Check compression on all cylinders...should be no more than 10% variance between lowest and highest cylinder on each engine. Also check lower unit oil for any signs of water intrusion and metal, indicitave of excess gear wear. If not hyrdaulic steering, make sure the steering tubes and teleflex cables are not corroded. Picture of the transom looks good, no brown weep stains around the u-bolts or scuppers....but still need to be sure transom is in good shape. Check for any stress cracks in corners of motor well. Also trim the motors up all the way and push down as hard as possible on the lower units while checking for any flex in the transom...should be no flex.

Beautiful boat. As mentioned above have the motors compression tested and look for signs of water or metal in the lower unit oil. Look for flex in the transom and soft spots in the floor. If you can have it surveyed, as it can save you head aches and a bunch of money. And that is with any boat no matter what brand.

Welcome to the site and post up all the questions you can think of.

Thanks very much for the quick response MrR, 2-N and ReelPlumber :o I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind. The price is another area I was hoping for a little input, especially if I was to have the boat surveyed as mrrabolalo and ReelPlumber recommend. Here are my thoughts on this and if I am fooling myself please don't hesitate to tell me. The boat is only 15 years old, appears to be pretty well maintained and has low hours. I am lucky enough to have a good amount of common sense and think I would be able to pick out any major issues. Bottom line is the rigs price is under $10K and I'm thinking I may be able to get it for 8K. If I recall, a year or so ago I was contemplating buying a boat which I never did but did check and contacted a couple people about doing a survey and the cost was, I believe about $750

so my dilemma is with the cost of the boat is it really worth it??

Am I off base thinking this boat is priced very low for what it is??? ;)

Edited by Aqualung

I did a quick search and most of what I found was from $13,500 to $17,000 so it seems below the asking prices of other 2660's.

One bad power head or a rotten transom can cost you alot more than a survey But.......

If you feel good about checking out these items yourself, then you might can get away without a survey, but if you want a piece of mind ,it will be worth the cost of the survey.

Here are a couple of WAG numbers without looking up anything if you were to part it out:

tripe axle trailer 2,200 (would be higher if torsion axles, how many axles have brakes?)

engine # 1 1,500 (assuming good compression and runs)

engine # 2 1,500 (see above)

prop #1 150

prop #2 150

hull 4,500

$10,000 right there, and this does not include any extras such as electronics (typically I would not figure any price on them if older than 5 years), rigging, and misc stuff. If it was me and I was set on getting the boat and everything is good, lay out $9k of dead presidents and let him know that is the best you can do. Cash seems to carry a lot of weight with these types of transactions!

I can assure you if all woks out and no major problems you will end up with a very seaworthy boat for the price of a new V4 motor. Or you could buy a skiff with a 25 hanging on the back and a small single axle trailer. ???? Boy thats a scary thought. Hope it works out. :o

Appreciate all the input fellas, I guess what I will do if I see something that concerns me, I probably will proceed with the survey.

I will do as suggested, check compression, transom, lower units hopefully that all checks out.

I just need a break in this blizzard we are getting to go do it! :o

Went to see the boat today....The electronics equaled none really, overall hull and cockpit area was fine besides the knee/hip padding and some seat cushions needed to be done. I am in a major dilemma.

I thought the boat was more of a walk around style, while I think it can work, just seems like a poor design for the type fishing I do.

The boat has some minor leaks to the cuddy, I think looking at the real condition of the Hull/Transom, motors, and trailer, this boat will be a great learning experience :o

Edited by Aqualung

No have not bought the boat, have been floundering in a sea of indecision :spell:

I have made an offer and waiting on a reply.

I should have stated, a good learning experience if I end up with her. :(

Looks like a great boat for the money as long as there's no major issues. Everyone on the site is pretty helpful so I'm sure we'll be able to guide you thru whatever you might need.

*edit* Wait a second, I just noticed the CT registration #'s, you're on CTF, right??

Edited by mark g

Everyone has been VERY helpful, no doubt about it!

I'm taking a risk missing out on the boat I understand that, I know I am taking a gamble, but have my reasons.

I was on CTF for a few years, no longer though, I'm on CT Fishfinder now.

Was your screen name the same as here??

Nope, its AllTideUp over there. Where in CT is the boat? If its not too far and you want a second set of eyes to look it over, let me know

Great offer, If things go to the next level will let ya know.

Boat is probably a haul for you, it's in Willimantic basically, not a common area for boaters :(

I'm more or less on hold until I hear back from him at this point.

Don't recall "Alltideup" when I was on the site

I'm up here north of Hartford, where abouts are you??

I'm in Wethersfield, summer in Westbrook. My girlfriend lives in Tolland, I'm there all the time so to shoot to Willi is no big deal. Feel free to fire me an email at shorelinedetailing@hotmail.com, I'll get it on my phone.

I rarely post on CTF, it doesn't seem to be the site it once was but some info there is decent info here & there.

I don't know how much you know about Robalos in general but they're absolute TANKS, you'd be hard pressed to find a better built boat. I've got an 88 R2020 (center console) that goes where ever I need it to go in any weather, any time, any day and gets us back safely every time. I also have an 87 R2320 that I'm redoing the transom on and should be running this season if all goes well.

If you can, take the sea trial on a rough day, that way you'll learn about the boat's best attributes (see MrRobalo's post above), as well as uncover any potential issues that may not be apparent on a calm day (loose hardware, etc)

I'm coming to learn that the Robalo boat is of good quality.

If I have any shot at this boat, I can almost be sure I have to gamble and there would be no sea trial.

I appreciate your offer mark q and if anything transpire it will be fairly soon, if I have time to arrange to have you along and you are available at that point, that would be great...will keep you and everyone posted

Good luck Aqua.

It's hard to make those "good deal" decisions, to go bigger.

When you've been boating with an 18' boat, and its always a little small?

When you go bigger, trailering, storage, & fuel consumption?

All I know is, I wish I had a bigger boat.

And I'll look for a Rabolo when I do.

I was told several days ago the seller excepted a previous offer, disappointed of course but did not give up hope, told him if things did not work out to contact me.

So happens a title issue has occurred and we do not require a title in CT...hence boat has been offered to me once again.

I was able to finally talk straight with the seller and there is one issue with one engine.

For some reason occasionally the overheat alarms sound on one engine indicating overheating ....but not always, last trip out, in the cold water ran fine. Can a bad connection give a false reading like this???

ANYWAY...I am getting my hopes up, I don't feel the issue is that serious, the guy is selling the boat because of a divorce, not because of problems with the boat, this I am certain.

HERE'S the big question...the seller has said the boat has sat for 3 years I think...with fuel in the line and the engines are oil injected...before we try and start these engines, should the carbs be disassembled and cleaned out to prevent obstructions being lodged in the jets??

OH and I am able to cut $1200 off the asking price

HELP!!!!!

My gut says do it!....am I nuts?

Disconnect the fuel lines and run off a gas can with fresh gas. If there is anything in the carbs, you'll have to rebuild anyway. You may run into stuck floats, which will cause a flooding condition.

The overheat alarm could be a number of things depending on when it occurs: low rpm-thermostats, high rpm-poppet valve, or a bad sensor. None of these are very expensive.

As 2-N-TOW mentioned, check the compression.

Other than that, go with your gut!

I was told several days ago the seller excepted a previous offer, disappointed of course but did not give up hope, told him if things did not work out to contact me.

So happens a title issue has occurred and we do not require a title in CT...hence boat has been offered to me once again.

I was able to finally talk straight with the seller and there is one issue with one engine.

For some reason occasionally the overheat alarms sound on one engine indicating overheating ....but not always, last trip out, in the cold water ran fine. Can a bad connection give a false reading like this???

ANYWAY...I am getting my hopes up, I don't feel the issue is that serious, the guy is selling the boat because of a divorce, not because of problems with the boat, this I am certain.

HERE'S the big question...the seller has said the boat has sat for 3 years I think...with fuel in the line and the engines are oil injected...before we try and start these engines, should the carbs be disassembled and cleaned out to prevent obstructions being lodged in the jets??

OH and I am able to cut $1200 off the asking price

HELP!!!!!

My gut says do it!....am I nuts?

Over heating could be due to something as small as a bad thermostat or impeller. I would suggest cleaning the carbs, but the rebuild kits can be pricey. If those are carberated motors the kits for my evinrude are $30. per carb at the dealer but can be purchased on line for about $20. per carb. I would replace the thermostats and impellers in both motors. Change fuel filters and water seperators an spark plugs. If it does not have water seperators I would install Racors. Then you can watch for water in the sight glass on the bottom of the filters. Most important thing is to do a compression test. If the compression tests out even then I would go for it. Mabe you can use the tune up expenses to get a little more off the price. Just my 1.5 cents.

Johnny P

1978 23 Robalo

"IN REEL DEEP"

The over heating sounds like either the water pump or thermostats. If you bought the boat, you'd replace those anyhow, its cheap insurance. My merc had intermittant overheating, it only happened at no wake speeds and ended up being the 'stats. I think they're $20 for the two you need for each motor. Like I said, I'd reccomend changing those and the water pumps, along with the fuel filters & spark plugs as soon as you bought the boat anyhow. Its mostly simple stuff, water pumps can be a pain but even that's not so bad.

One thing you want to keep in mind is that you're going to find minor issues with any used boat you buy, its just a fact of life. Use the little things to help get to know the boat better and you'll have more confidence in her

Edited by mark g

Thanks ALL I appreciate all the input. The questions are really going to start flying now because

I OWN A ROBALO :thumbsup: Yup bought her today :dribble:

Did a compression check on both motors they were within spec according to the manual averaged out at 105.

Unfortunately I decided to not try trailering it home, I overlooked the fact the trailer had electric brakes and not surge brakes, my truck is not set up for that, so I will be arranging a way to get her home in the next few days or so.

I expect issues to pop up, the boat has sat a few years...but only 162 hours on her.

I am pumped!!!!!