Robalo Boating Forum

1976 Robalo230

1stRobalo

• 1 month later...

hello, i am a newbie to the site... 1st post.

i recently picked up a 1975 amf ROBALO 23 ft center console that looks almost identical to yours. in immaculate condition... but i am completely redoing mine head to toe... new paint, brightwork, wiring, electronics, down to new skid on the floor....this 23 ft center console sure is a sweet looking boat to me she ran very strong on my test run....... sure has great lines. will post pixs of mine soon.

great site here...

pix attch.... (1st day bringing her home BEFORE restoration)

post-435-1267930308_thumb.jpg

Great looking 23's. Should be a fun project, with great reward when your finished.

robalo 75 >>>>>>Thanks for taking a walk down our cyber docks. Tie up and share your adventures with us. Your classic ROBALO is built like a tank and will serve you well. B)

robalo 75 <<<<<<< :wave: >>>>>>Thanks for taking a walk down our cyber docks. Tie up and share your adventures with us. Your classic ROBALO is built like a tank and will serve you well. B)

thanks mr robalo and ALL... i love this boat, gotta a classic for sure... i had a delta conic hull

a north american CC c-22 for ten or so years. this robalo reminds me of her but a little longer, wider and more roomier.... i love her. i am concerned though. i have heard she is full of closed cell foam, that is a good thing, but my concern is.... there is no bilge pump, and my self draining port is about an inch under water.... the back well fills up and when she planes out all water goes out..... BUT i havent kept her in the water at a dock tied up long enough to check her out though..... im sure she will be self bailing but with no backup bilge pump kinda scares me...... any input to ease my mind would greatly be appreciated......\

i love this site.... very very helpful and one big robalo family...... thanks for your reply....

dave

savannah, ga

Edited by robalo 75

(before shots) 1975 amf ROBALO 23 ft CC

already started brightwork, gonna get a scum line this week for paintwork, add new winchbase and winch for trailer, prep, prime and paint new skid on deck, electrical, etc... will post pixs soon....

post-435-1268015595_thumb.jpg

post-435-1268015724_thumb.jpg

post-435-1268015825_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
thanks mr robalo and ALL... i love this boat, gotta a classic for sure... i had a delta conic hull

a north american CC c-22 for ten or so years. this robalo reminds me of her but a little longer, wider and more roomier.... i love her. i am concerned though. i have heard she is full of closed cell foam, that is a good thing, but my concern is.... there is no bilge pump, and my self draining port is about an inch under water.... the back well fills up and when she planes out all water goes out..... BUT i havent kept her in the water at a dock tied up long enough to check her out though..... im sure she will be self bailing but with no backup bilge pump kinda scares me...... any input to ease my mind would greatly be appreciated......\

i love this site.... very very helpful and one big robalo family...... thanks for your reply....

dave

savannah, ga

I just purchased a 1983 25cc myself as a project and have the same concerns as you have not put it in the water yet hope I did not waste my money boat has been dripping water for a 2 weeks straight garaged ...

• 1 year later...

Morning everybody!

I'm a newbie on this site, and am discovering it's a darn small world. A couple of weeks ago a purchased a 75 AMF Robalo 230 from a guy in Thunderbolt, and have just started cutting out a severely rotten transom... In searching this site, I discovered I'm now the owner of the 75 230 earlier in the post by member 'Robalo 75'. He did a great job with all the refit he did, but whoever did the repower before he purchased the boat royally screwed it up, as you'll see by the pictures I'll post in a few minutes... I'm documenting this whole project, so stay tuned as it happens, and feel free to offer suggestions, criticism, or general support. Thanks!

-Matt

Apparently, the boat originally had twin outboards, but was repowered with a single at somepoint several owners ago. As you can see, whoever did the repower did a pisspoor job of it - all the old mounting holes were filled with either silicone sealant, or caulking like you use around the bathtub. No wonder I've discovered major transom rot issues! Just getting into the exploratory surgery to see how bad this really is... We'll see!

post-1622-0-50269000-1319634306_thumb.jpg

post-1622-0-98222900-1319634371_thumb.jpg

post-1622-0-74848100-1319634397_thumb.jpg

post-1622-0-78661100-1319634412_thumb.jpg

post-1622-0-78793500-1319634429_thumb.jpg

Matt, welcome to the zoo! The first thing you're going to want to do is to start a thread in the Projects & Restorations forum. You're definately not alone here on the transom replacement, I think a pretty good percentage of the members here have a transom job on their boat repair resume! Are you planning on going with wood or a composite transom?

• 4 months later...

Here are some pics of my boat I just got a few months ago. Just got done bringing the teak back to life.

Life is good :wacko::beer: Im looking for a used trailer if anyone knows someone...

I have just picked up a 1977 230CC. While the teak is not bad, I need to begin now to keep it that way. Can you tell me what products you used and outline the steps to keep the teak alive.

Thank you.

Depending on what the previous owner used will deuterium what type of clean up is needed, The typical type (s) are to teak oil it and there are different brands to choose from and the differ by the depth of darkness you want. The initial cleean up is the same for all the methods and it starts out with deep cleaning the wood ( DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER) with teak cleaner (Mark G might have a homemade cleaner he uses) a soft bristle brush rinsing ad re-applying the cleaner until the wood is cleaned deeply and it is IMPERATIVE TO LET IT DRY COMPLETELY ALL THE WAY THROUGH ! BEFORE GOING ONTO THE WAY YOU CHOOSE TO FINISH IT

The disadvantage of teak oiling is you need to keep applying it for quite a few days at first making sure it is getting deep into the wood. Once the teak is saturated you can just apply it every so often depending on weather it is covered and how much you wash it .

Another way to do it is to varnish it ,when I varnished mine I put 14 coats sanding between them and could do only 1 time a day so it was a 2 week process,

The way I do it now (and I think it's the best) is to use a process called Honey Teak by Signature Paints. . It is a 3 part epoxy type paint that is UV proof. Once cleaned and dried well you use the Honey Teak color on it first with it thinned down with flow fluid to penetrate deep into the grains and I do 3=4 coats until I get it golden brown. The advantage to it is you can re-coat in 20 or so minutes. The after the Honey Teak you use the clear coat and I do 4-6 depending on if it is always in the sun and has foot traffic an it (like my pulpit) . It can be properly done in one day if planed well (I have a piece of plywood with brads sticking up for the parts that need both side done ( teak doors on console drawer set) I went for almost 6 years before it started showing signs of wear and if I had wanted to touch up it's a matter of scuffing and re-coating. Take a look at my album and you will see it .

Well thats my 2 cents worth. captain.gif

Thanks Mr R for the tutorial...will be applying the new found knowledge soon! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm finally 100% finished with the rebuild of my '75 230. Have a look at posts #7 and #13 above. The previous owner posted these, then I posted on down a bit about cutting out a rotten transom, and started a whole new thread over in the 'Restorations' column about the project. Have a look at the final result below, after everything was painted and rigged, and the teak was brought back to life.

post-1622-0-19796300-1332802210_thumb.jpg

post-1622-0-78471300-1332802213_thumb.jpg

post-1622-0-59875600-1332802217_thumb.jpg

You can't beat cruising off into the sunset after several months of work!

post-1622-0-08910100-1332802306_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Too new to make a new topic. So Ill ask it here. I am looking at getting a 1975 21ft Robalo CC with a 1986 Evinrude 150 (recently rebuilt supposedly) and I want to know what to look out for. Are there any defects or usual problems that year may have?

Also, I am having trouble pricing it. Its got a dual axle galvanized trailer thats in ok to bad condition. The boats in somewhat rough shape but I dont know if it has any major problems...like transom rot. And the motor is suppose to be in good condition.

• 9 years later...

Hi, I recently bought a and robalo 19 foot boat. I have to rebuild about the entire boat. It is in dire shape but I still love it. I am only beginning my trek into the build. I have many questions to ask. I would suppose there is many of you here that can help me? Thank you in advance. 

Hi Mikbrew -

Start a new thread under Restorations and Custom Projects.  Include pictures so we can better understand what is being worked on.  Looking forward to seeing your project!