Robalo Boating Forum

Some suggestions for your R227

Attached is a list of MINOR defects (and their corrections) I have found in pouring over my 2006 R227 for the last several seasons. EVERY boat maker has defects in their products. Some of these are defects made by part suppliers, some by the assembly process, and some from the design. With 4+ years in - we love our boat – none of this is intended as or should be taken as a criticism of Robalo.

Some of you will recall that I posted this on the old site - but thought some new folks might like to get some ideas for their Spring work list!

Jim K.

Robalo_R227_Minor_Fixes__Upgrades.pdf

Attached is a list of MINOR defects (and their corrections) I have found in pouring over my 2006 R227 for the last several seasons. EVERY boat maker has defects in their products. Some of these are defects made by part suppliers, some by the assembly process, and some from the design. With 4+ years in - we love our boat – none of this is intended as or should be taken as a criticism of Robalo.

Some of you will recall that I posted this on the old site - but thought some new folks might like to get some ideas for their Spring work list!

Jim K.

Great stuff!

I will pin this up top.

Thanks for sharing.

My biggest issue to date was with the fishbox lid/back to back lounger base. I had the lid crack at the point where the hinge attaches to the lid and it was replaced under warranty. After a year it was cracking badly again and I spent the day today fixing it. I had to grind down the cracks and then put down a new layer of fiberglass and resin to reinforce it. I found a long thing piece of aluminum that I used as a long backer plate to the bolts. I also removed the screws that attach the hinge to the fishbox base and filled in the holes with fiberglass resin injected with a syringe. It seems that the box is foam cored and and only the fiberglass skin coat was holding them in. I think this is going to fix my problem but well see after a few fishing trips. Other than some very minor issues I've been very happy with my boat. I spent yesterday changing the oil, gear lube and doing some winterizing on the water tank and pumps before our first hard freeze of the year tonight.

My biggest issue to date was with the fishbox lid/back to back lounger base. I had the lid crack at the point where the hinge attaches to the lid and it was replaced under warranty. After a year it was cracking badly again and I spent the day today fixing it. I had to grind down the cracks and then put down a new layer of fiberglass and resin to reinforce it. I found a long thing piece of aluminum that I used as a long backer plate to the bolts. I also removed the screws that attach the hinge to the fishbox base and filled in the holes with fiberglass resin injected with a syringe. It seems that the box is foam cored and and only the fiberglass skin coat was holding them in. I think this is going to fix my problem but well see after a few fishing trips. Other than some very minor issues I've been very happy with my boat. I spent yesterday changing the oil, gear lube and doing some winterizing on the water tank and pumps before our first hard freeze of the year tonight.

Florida: With your lid closed - and looking along the long dimension - does the lid edge contact the base anywhere in the middle? On mine it first contacts about 6" back from the latch end and then has a gap again out to the latch end. Seems to me the ideal is to not have the lid contact the box other than on the hinge and latch ends. If your contact point is in the middle - seems like the latch could put a constant force up on the hinge and bolts where yours broke out - which would get much worse if someone sat in the rear facing seat and bounced in waves. Might explain why you had the same issue with two different lids - if the box weren't molded flat. I have toyed with the idea of sanding down the lid edge a bit to try to get out of any rocking possibility putting an upward force on the hinge ever since I saw the picture of your failure on the old site.

I think the root of my problem was the loose screws that attached the hinge to the fish box which was causing what you describe above. Since finishing the repair and looking it over today I think I've resolved the issues as the lid closes level across the box now. I've ordered some Taco Hatch seal and I'm going to install that on the lid of this box, the ski locker and the front two hatches when it comes in. I figured it would quiet things down, seal these compartments to water a little and keep the ice a little better. I'll let everyone know how that project comes out.