Jump to content
Robalo Boating Forum

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'transom project'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


    • Introductions
    • Suggestions & Comments
    • General Boat Info
    • Fishing and Boating Charity Organizations
    • Walk Arounds
    • Center Console
    • Dual Console
    • Show Off Your Boat
    • Boating Safety
    • Dealers
  • THE MARINA (Projects)
    • Restorations & Custom Projects
    • General Repairs & Upgrades
    • Motors & Trailers
    • Electronics
  • BOAT YARD (Classifieds)
    • Boats
    • Marine
    • Tackle
    • Electronics
    • Fishing
    • Vacation
    • General BS
    • Fishing Help
    • Destination Information


There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start





Website URL







Boat Type

Found 1 result

  1. Thought I'd report on my latest project, on "The Dr. Ann" 1975 R-236 Cuddy Cabin. It's a project probably most people dread the thought of having to do. I've owned this boat now for the last 23 years, bought it from a guy that lived in a waterfront subdivision, but knew nothing about boats...….. It's been a GREAT all around boat for me and I've done a lot of clean-up fix up projects on her over the years. A couple months ago, my neighbor and I took her out to the river to try out a different prop. Upon returning home and beginning to flush the motor, I noticed that the top of the Gil Bracket where it bolts to the transom had about a 3/16" gap ……. At first we thought maybe the bolts had loosened up an just needed some retightening.... Well, after checking it out, we realized that wasn't the case and that the transom core had to be bad !! So I unscrewed the onboard battery charger inside the transom an procee3ded to push a small screwdriver into the hole to check the core...… Ugh,,, immediately, I knew the result wasn't good..... Decided if possible (Depending on how bad the core was ) to do a new pour in core, using "Carbon Bond Transom Pour" product. Decided on this product, since I had a gil bracket with a F-200 Yamaha hanging on it and wanted a product that had a Good Compression Ratio. The comparison was Carbon Bond ( a Resin product with fiber an ceramic sphere fillers) against the Foam pour in products. Carbon Bond has a compression Ratio of 3,895 lbs. per square inch versus the foam products of 700 lbs. per square inch. Needless to say, I chose the Carbon Bond product. In the pics attached, you'll see what I believe was the Real culprit, that wasn't visible to me over the years, because it was hidden by the Gil Bracket top. Someone before me, must have had something screwed to the transom, under the bracket cover AND NEVER closed the hole when they removed it !! So,,, every time the boat was put in the water, water went in the hole and wicked up the core.... Needless to say, and thankfully, it was completely rotten , ALL 8ft. wide by 34 inches deep. The tools I used to clean all this out (it took my 3 days working a few hrs per day ) were; Air Hammer, regular wood Spade bit on extensions, makeshift vacuum tube (1" plastic pipe attached to my shop vac ) and a 1' drum sander on extensions with 60 grit sanding drums. Since it was all rotten, it was fairly easy to breakup an then suck out, it just took a while because your working in the standard 1 1/2 inch core space. I must say, the Carbon Bond was really super easy to work with, and poured thru the makeshift wooden funnel as they suggested. The whole transom was filled to the top and took 17 gallons. The cost of the product was $800. Now , the transom will probably outlive Me !! No more rot EVER !! Hopefully, this will give anyone that may need to do this project, some insight on what to expect. If anyone has any questions, feel free to reply and I'll do my best to answer the questions. Don "The Dr. Ann" 1975 R-236
  • Create New...