Jump to content
Robalo Boating Forum


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About fretz

  • Rank
    First Mate

Previous Fields

  • Boat Type
    84 20' cc

Recent Profile Visitors

344 profile views
  1. Last year we refinished the console and ran out of time for the leaning post. This year it it the primary project. I've begun overthinking and making it more complicated than it probably needs to be. That is an old picture of the seat as it was. The plan is to use the same basic shape but incorporate 3 rod holders with a tackle center below. We originally wanted to leave the bottom open for a cooler. After seeing some photos of cooler "drawers" I'm tempted to try to incorporate something like that into the box. My question to the group... What core material would provide a sufficient r value and be structural enough to support a few 200 lb butts running through inlet on occasion? The seat will be bolted into the stringers through 1" pads to allow water to flow underneath. The entire unit will be made in foam cored glass and painted to match the console with awlgrip. I'll get a new cushion made to accommodate the rod holders. The tackel center would be divided by the center rodholder and have drawers on one side and a deep compartment on the other side. I would like to use gaskets to seal the drawers so that water doesnt get inside. That was the demise of existing seat as it rotted from the inside. Thanks!
  2. I dont have a need for a livewell but if i did the port box at the transom could be filled with water in a pinch.
  3. I did this on an 84 2020 However i went a little overboard and replaced the floor and the trough at the transom. If you fill yours with foam i would at lease remove the through hull fitting and glass the hole from both sides so that water cant seep in to the old fishwell
  4. fretz

    2019 is a wrap

    Don't feel sorry for me. My cousin has a 31 Bertram which we will fish until Thanksgiving. After that it just gets too cold to enjoy being on the water. We are on Little Egg harbor a bit north of Atlantic City. The Bay tends to freeze for a few weeks every winter so our boating has a beginning and and end every year. Besides if the boat stayed in all the time i wouldn't know when to do projects.
  5. All good things must come to an end. Till next year!
  6. Done for now. Just a reminder of where I started. I didn't complete the foot rest as planned but there is always next year.
  7. No compass. Were never far enough off shore to need it and i had to remove it to get in the garage in the winter. With all the GPS and amp under the console it wouldnt be accurate anyway.
  8. the console is not very heavy the fun of rewiring. New dash panel mocked up. my acrylic didn't arrive on time. Bottom painted and back outside. All that remains is to install the finished panel and the windscreen
  9. Thanks for doing the under appreciated work of an admin. I'm happy to contribute content and enjoy everyone's posts immensely. I find inspiration in the work others do and when I'm behind schedule there is always someone deeper in the weeds than I to make me feel better. Lots of sunny weekends ahead for all of us!
  10. Progress from this weekend. I had the console faired pretty well and ready for paint Awlgrip 545 primer Found a few pinholes after the 1st coat to fill before the 2nd. Lots of sanding to get ready for the finish 3 coats of awlcraft 2000 oyster white. Im really happy with how it turned out. One sag and a few imperfections but overall it will look perfect to anyone but me. here is the helm mounted before drilling for the steering Wheel and throttle mounted and ready to go. Next weekend well mount the console in the boat and finish up the wiring.
  11. Going with the gps centered on the wheel. Just ordered a piece of black acrylic for the panel. Still have to prime and paint... gelcoat isn’t cutting it. tic toc goes the Memorial Day clock!
  12. Yes the ply is covered in glass. I wanted something solid to mount electronics too behind the dash. Cleaned up my glue joints, ran the edges through the router table and got a coat of varnish on. Only 20 coats to go!
  13. 2 coats of gelcoat. i also bonded a piece of ply on the inside of the console to hold electronics etc.. teak cut for the pod. 1st glue up cut so the grain flows from one piece to another you can see the sides here for a dry fit before gluing up after glue up ill round the edge with a 3/4 bit in the router table 2nd glue up for the sides. 1st coat of varnish on the old trim in probably 15 years.
  • Create New...